Friday, July 15, 2011

"to Christ I look, on Christ I call."

The following poem by G.M. Hopkins does a beautiful job of capturing the fact that our hopes must ultimately be placed in Christ alone, for He alone on earth possesses perfection. Hopkins did not name this poem, and so it is simply headed in my collection of his poetry as "16."

"Myself unholy, from myself unholy
To the sweet living of my friends I look –
Eye-greeting doves bright-counter to the rook,
Fresh brooks to salt sand-teasing waters shoaly: --
And they are purer, but alas! not solely
The unquestion’d readings of a blotless book.
And so my trust, confusèd, struck, and shook
Yields to the sultry siege of melancholy.
He has a sin of mine, he its near brother;
Knowing them well I can but see the fall.
This fault in one I found, that in another:
And so, though each have one while I have all,
No better serves me now, save best ; no other
Save Christ: to Christ I look, on Christ I call."

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this one, Jeff! I have been reading my Hopkins poetry book this week, too! :)
    ~ Jody

    ReplyDelete